Working title: Summer Gold


Ever wondered how an artist approaches a new series of work? Well, regardless, I'm going to tell you how this artist approached this series, currently entitled Summer Gold. So .... having relished the feel of summer in the country over a couple of days in the past week, having done an initial sketch in acrylic, having pondered and doodled for some considerable time, then having prepared some canvases of various sizes, this morning I was up with the lark and straight into the studio.

The initial sketch in acrylic is shown in my last post, and here is one of my preparatory doodles. As for my ponderings, they consisted of trying to distill my impressions of recent summer days ... impressions of vivid colour: yellow, from the golden of evening sunlight through to the almost acid yellow of oilseed rape, skies of bright blue with white clouds, vibrant purplish grey as dusk approaches, and more greens than I can begin to describe ... And after all that, the studio work: committing my vision to canvas in a semi-abstract way - shown here is my first not-quite-finished painting.

Weather-wise, it's downhill from tomorrow onwards unfortunately .... the British summer is sadly a fickle season!

Comments

  1. I have barely seen much of your work yet this joyous burst of canary yellow seems very different than your norm.
    It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joyce. It is indeed a new departure for me, inspired by all the walking in the countryside I have done over the past few years. I'm hoping to produce some work of the mountains in Snowdonia soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired by your work, its vibrancy and accessability to touch the viewer is wonderful.
    We are setting up an exhibition at the Baroque church at Great witley over August Bank holiday, would you care to enter four pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Diana, Thanks for your comment. Could you send me an e-mail with details about the exhibition please? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment