Skills and sketching

Sketching is a very important and useful activity for artists. Not only does it serve to "scratch" the creative "itch", but it also develops observational skills and hand-eye coordination, and helps in conceptualising and visualising ideas.
#something_alarming_in_the_garden
And of course, there's no pressure - the sketchbook is your own personal visual journal. The fact that no-one needs to see it is tremendously liberating, making it a very useful experimental tool: for composition, tonal work and techniques, and materials too.

 I like to sketch often, and when I'm out and about I usually carry a small sketchbook and a set of pigment liners with me.

#zuko #snooze
However, I'm not generally very interested in drawing objects, so when I'm at home, the ideal subject is my cat, Zuko, a Siberian beauty, semi-longhaired and with a big ruff. He also often wears a rather grumpy expression!

My go-to materials are pigment liners and Stabilo pens, which are what I used for these sketches at the weekend.

Comments