Urban sketching

I used to think I just sketched when I was out and about, but then I found out that "urban sketching" is a thing. So now I'm an urban sketcher. And as such, I joined the Manchester Urban Sketching Group today at Gorton Monastery for four hours of sketching. 

Gorton Monastery is in Greater Manchester and is a wonderful building. These days it is run by a Trust and is an events venue but also open to the public. The Great Nave and the cloisters are flooded with a purply-pink light which may sound odd but looks stunning.

I sat in the central garden, called the Healing Garden, and sketched until I could bear the cold no more, then spent some time wandering about the place before finding a more cosy spot indoors: at 2nd floor level in the new wing, looking through a window across the Great Nave (with its purply-pink lighting) to the windows on the other side. Finally, I went to the café, had a cup of tea and produced another quick sketch.

This was followed by the throw-down (urban sketcher terminology: we put our sketches out on a table and everyone had a bit of a browse) and a group photo. 

I really enjoyed the venue and will definitely be attending the Manchester Urban Sketching Group's future events!



Comments