No planning - just drawing

You may have noticed that I enjoy sketching, and I've been asked by artists and non-artists alike how I go about producing my sketches, so here's how:

Recently, I've been enjoying working on brown paper (actually a scrapbook from Paperchase) with my new Staedtler colour fineliners and Stabilo pastel highlighters along with white Posca and grey Pebeo markers, Uni-ball Signo white pens and my trusty Staedtler black fineliners.

Last Saturday, I was at The Interiors Shop (https://theinteriorsshop.co.uk/about-us) in Chester and drew this:
There is so much to see in the shop that my head was spinning and it was difficult to decide what to focus on. So I started with something Christmassy and, with nothing more planned, just went from there. Here's how the drawing developed:





Incidentally, if you have any questions about my materials, methods or approach, please don't hesitate to ask!

I did a couple more sketches but still didn't manage to come close to including all I'd have liked to. I'm thinking here of the gorgeous fireplace, parrots, angel statues .... I could go on!
It was great working somewhere warm and which is a visual feast; for a while, I had two young and very interested spectators, one of whom thought my work was "cool" and another who asked if I had "drawed" all that, and I was also provided with tea and biscuits. All in all, a good day and I came home feeling very happy!

Comments