Lovely landscapes

There is wonderful scenery all around me in my home on the Shropshire-Wales border, but the weather hasn't been kind for the past couple of months so I've not been out sketching as often as I'd have liked. I've tried to make the most of the sketches I have managed, though. And I'm busy using them as inspiration for my studio work.

From my January sketches came these studio paintings:
"Above Llangollen" acrylic and mixed media on panel, 8"x8"
 This painting was inspired by the view across the valley above Llangollen in January.

"Above Llangollen", in a tray (float) frame
and
"Tracery", acrylic and mixed media on panel, 8"x8"
This painting is about the tracery of lines across any view of the landscape: lines on tree trunks, lines of hedgerows and fences, lines of tree branches and twigs against the land and against the sky.
"Tracery", in a tray (float) frame
These are heavily textured paintings, in which I used principally acrylics, Inktense sticks, oil pastels and charcoal powder, and I also layered, partially removed and cut into the work to create a textured and weathered feel, reflecting the landscape.

The paintings are shown in solid wood, limed white tray (float) frames, without glass.

And now I'm working on more new work from my few February sketches - more adventures with texture.

Comments