Transforming a doodle

Tree bark is interesting stuff: all that texture, those crevices and fissures, contrasting tones and wonderful shapes - and thinking about those delicious drawing opportunities inspired this doodle in my (lovely leather-bound) ideas book, which ended up looking more like a kind of desolate landscape (a transformation I called Metamorphosis).

Some time later, I made a start on a heavily textured and collaged canvas. As it progressed, it started to remind me of Jules Verne's Voyage au Centre de la Terre / Journey to the Centre of the Earth, which I read many moons ago. I didn't go and check but vaguely remember the book describing rocky formations, bare landscapes and lichen in Iceland. I therefore collaged part of the title page of a damaged copy of Verne's book (in French) in the top right of the canvas.

And here is the finished item. I've included the detail photos to show the texture as the photo of the whole canvas looks rather flat.

Comments