A E Housman

Later this week, I will be delivering two paintings to an exhibition on the theme of A E Housman's "A Shropshire Lad" in aid of the Severn Hospice. The exhibition runs from Friday 6 May to Sunday 8 May and is at Ford House, Ford, Shropshire. Admission is free on Saturday (10 a.m. to 10 p.m.) and Sunday (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Over 40 local artists have contributed work - so there'll be plenty to see - which will all be for sale, with donations from every sale going to the Severn Hospice. For further information, please contact Patricia Burbidge (organiser) on 01743 850252.

When I was invited to participate, I read "A Shropshire Lad" and, once I had managed to cheer myself up again (for the uninitiated: it's a bit gloomy!), considered what aspect I would like to focus on. In the end, his - it seems to me - rather jaundiced view of relationships and the fickleness of womankind interested me: lasses seem to be destined to grieve for menfolk killed at war or hanged for their crimes, yet have a wonderful (!) ability to move on fairly quickly. Poem XXVII is a fine example. So, I thought that two studies of the same girl would reflect this. They are shown in this post; the first is entitled "Has she tired of weeping?" and the second "Is my girl happy?" To which one can only answer: "Yes and yes".

 P.S. I've also updated the "Acrylics" page.

Comments