Plein air and preparations

The wonderful weather - and the pressure of an imminent exhibition - tempted me outside with my sketching kit over the past week. As the exhibition will be at Caffi Wylfa, next to the Welsh end of the Chirk Aqueduct, I decided to focus my efforts on scenes along the Llangollen Canal, though a sketch or two of Chester may also creep in - we shall see.
Work in progress - statue called "Celebration of Chester"

Work in progress - looking through Chirk Aqueduct to the Viaduct

Working en plein air is great, especially in the sunshine, but does come with its own drawbacks: a heavy bag to lug around, sitting in uncomfortable places, damp seeping through the sit mat (which I always have with me), getting a stiff back, finding the best place is the draughtiest ... to name but a few. But I'm happy: it's been a lovely week and I'm hoping this spring weather continues.

Comments