Urban sketching

I didn't know I was an urban sketcher until sometime last year. Prior to that I just thought I doodled a bit wherever I went. But whatever the label, getting out and about and recording what I see before me is hugely enjoyable. I'm still feeling happy from my weekend, and one of the contributing factors to my mood is my sketching activity over the past few days.

At its most basic, I do simple line drawings in ink (I usually use Staedtler pigment liners):

There are now lots of urban sketching groups out there, and on Sunday I met up with the Manchester group. First, I had a spot of breakfast in the Manchester Museum where I took the opportunity to do a warm-up sketch. Below left: the start - below right: breakfast and sketch done.

Then I met up with the others: this time, the venue was The University Quadrangle, next to Manchester Museum. The weather was a bit chilly, so although many hardy souls stayed outside, some of us went for the warmth of the Museum. The building itself is wonderful and there is so much to see there, my head was spinning! However, I decided to kick off with a challenging drawing of the huge whale skeleton suspended over the stairwell:
Whale skeleton in the background and a coco de mer in the glass case in the foreground

Then I moved on to a fantastic exhibit: a Japanese spider crab - it's massive!!! And I really liked its organic shape against the formality of the windows behind.
If urban (or rural) sketching appeals to you, why not have a look around on social networks and find a group near you - it's great fun!

Comments