Where to focus?

Life drawing is great in all sorts of ways: artistic, social and networking. On the artistic front, it improves drawing skills and observational skills; because poses are timed, the artist has to make decisions quickly (media, approach, angle) and generally not faff. But, in a group setting, certain things are out of the artists' control: the model's poses, angle (in a full room, where you sit at the start is where you sit for the whole session) and lighting.

Last time I was at life drawing, unusually decision-making was my issue: lovely model, lovely poses, lovely light, I'd decided on the media.... but no focus. So after faffing around for a while, I homed in on detail...

However, I don't usually suffer from indecision so, in line with my thinking recently, perhaps I should take this as a sign that I need change: to be more adventurous, to take a few risks and to try a different approach in different media.

Comments